View Single Post
Old 17th February 2011, 15:19

Yeomans is on a distinguished road
Re: Surrey Luftwaffe crashes

Peter,

Many thanks.

I think then the most likely candidate aircraft is the Junkers Ju 88A-1 of 2/KG77 Wk Nr. 8095 which crashed at Folly Farm on 27th September 1940 coded 3Z + HK.

All four of the crew held the rank of Unteroffizier :

Wilhelm Menningham the radio operator was tragically killed when his parachute failed to open - his body being found in Leatherhead and his parachute some 10 km further south.

The three remaining crew members all managed to bail out safely. If it is assumed the pilot Rudolf Schumann was the last to leave the stricken aircraft then he would have landed closest to the crash site. So I think he was the one who landed near to the Norfolk Arms in Mid-Holmwood. The other two crew members landed at Bradley Farm (north of Dorking) and Scammells Farm which is only about 2 miles from Brockham.

If it is assumed that the rank insignia were those of the crew member who landed at Scammells Farm then they would have belonged to either Albert Ackerman the gunner or Hans Tenholt the observer.

I have made lots of assupmtions here I know but I would apprecaite any futher comments from other Forum members.

Does anyone know if Wilhelm Menningham is still buried in Leatherhead ?

I will put toghether a plan showing the locations and post seperately.