View Single Post
Old 1st March 2010, 21:23

phasselgren is on a distinguished road
Re: Indonesian Dakota shot down by Dutch Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
Peter,

Dutch is my native tongue, so perhaps I can add some more info after browsing a bit on Dutch websites about the Neptune vs. Dakota encounter. No funny translations here, I hope!

The Neptune (serial 207) was patrolling on the south side of New Guinea, keeping an eye out for Indonesian Migs and Mitchells. The RO then reported a contact in the Kaimana area that was interpreted as para droppings by Indonesian a/c. The contact was 110 miles away however, so a hard catch for the Neptune.
But the tactical coordinator on the Dutch destroyer "Groningen" set out a course and with the two jet engines of the Neptune engaged, they could increase the interception speed. After a while a C-47 was sighted and two short bursts with 20-mm cannons set the left wing of the transport on fire.
The Indonesian crew of seven ditched perfectly and could climb in dinghies, to be picked up by the Dutch destroyer "Friesland" later on the day.
The Dutch pilots were Rein Lub and LTZ 1 Harry Moekadanoe.

That same 17 May 1962 an Indonesian Mitchell was intercepted by another Dutch Neptune (with guidance by the Dutch destroyer "Limburg"), but the Neptune's cannons somehow failed and the Mitchell got away.

Best regards,

Leendert
Thanks Leendert, just what I needed. Can you confirm if Harry Moekadanoe was the first pilot?

Regards,
Peter