View Single Post
Old 27th July 2006, 18:37

George Hopp
Re: FuG 218 Neptun radar

The FuG 218 set had a single scope for output. That single screen display you saw in the Me 262 night fighter was the FuG 218 scope. AND, it was NOT combined with the scope for the FuG 350Z!! That was someone's imagination because we are told that the Me 262 night fighter carried the FuG 350z set but where was it and where was the scope, so someone decided they had to have been combined. This would have been impossible because the FuG 218 output its signals along horizontal and vertical timelines, while the Naxos output its information around the edge of the scopy.

The scope and its two control units would have had to have been in the location previously occupied by the SN-2 set on the left side of the area above the cockpit decking. It had to be the left side since the FuG 16ZY set filled the right side. I would guess that Bediengerat II would be at the bottom, and then Bediengaret I and the Scope would be on top of the first unit, with the control unit to the outboard side of the scope unit. This is a guess, but the B II is larger than the other units, so it natuarally would be at the bottom; and BI had controls on its top surface, so it had to be on the top row; in addition to which you would want the scope to be as centralized as possible.

I hope this helps you,
George