View Single Post
Old 30th March 2014, 19:34
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftflotte 4 losses Apr.-Jun.1943: a comparison of the different data

Hello, all and Andrey especially.

I was kind of saving this for the article that I am working on (constantly improving it but I think I might publish it as is over easter), but here goes.

Quoting from documentation I have found in the remains of the archives of the Generalstab (as it has been stated also here on the forum that the GenQu 6 Abr and the lists we refer to have ´nothing´ directly to do with the resupply chain of the operational air units of the Luftwaffe). The quotes below are parts of a longer document which will be published in full in my article:

Quote:
1. The Oberquartiermeister in the Luftflotten are responsible for the resupply and operational capabilities of the units they command. Thus, they have the same responsibility that the Gen.Qu. have in the entire Luftwaffe. (....)

2. To ensure that the units does not request more aircraft than their planned strength, and to ensure that there is a running control over the number of aircraft in the units at any given time, it is ordered that unit strength lists (Bewegungslisten) are to be filled out by the Staffeln, Gruppen, Geschwadern and Luftflotten, as well as by the Gen.d.Lw.b.Ob.d.H. and Gen.d.Lw.b.Ob.d.M. Please see appendix 1 for the form to be used for this (...)

As of (date kept for the article...) the Gruppen and independent Staffeln will fill out the lists in 5 copies, divided by ´Liste A´ for frontline aircraft and ´List B´ for other aircraft in the unit, and send the copies to:

I.) Geschwader
II.) Fliegerkorps or Division
III.) Luftflotte or Gen.d.Lw.b.Ob.d.H. and Gen.d.Lw.b.Ob.d.M.
IV.) RLM L.E. 2

The last copy (Entwurf) are to be kept by the reporting unit.

These lists are to be kept up to date. Aircraft leaving the unit are to be reported by Werknummer. New aircraft shall be reported by Werknummer from the relevant commanding unit to the receiving unit.

These lists form the basis for the allocation of replacement aircraft.
Very important sentence with regards to earlier comments on the forum, and it gets better!!!

Quote:
To what extent urgent requests for replacement aircraft are to be accepted by telephone (fernmündlich) are up to the relevant commanding unit to decide.
And then!!!

Quote:
In any case (In jedem Falle) the loss list by Werknummer will be the one and only basis for allocation and delivery of replacement aircraft.
(.... sweet stuff kept for later ...)

Quote:
By losses with an estimated damage percentage below 60% the unit will report if the aircraft is to be sent for repair and when. (.... further details elaborating on this to follow...)
Further on in the document more or less any situation that can occur is outlined and regulated, including the fact that when an aircraft is sent from a unit for repair, the unit which originally had the aircraft on strength are not allowed to retrieve it without the relevant commanding unit allowing this and ordering it.

I have yet to be able to make a good table here, but will try to relay the form to be used:

Unit name at the top

The following columns to be filled out:

Nr. (Aircraft number, running count 1., 2., 3. etc)
Baumuster (Aircraft model, for example Ju 88 )
Werk-Nr. (Werknummer)
Datum des Zugangs (Date the aircraft was received by the unit)
Datum des Abgangs (Date the aircraft left the unit)
Total über 60% (Tick mark indicating if the aircraft left the unit due to a total loss with a damage estimated at more than 60%)
Reparaturindustrie (Tick mark indicating that the aircraft was transferred to the industry for repair and maintenance, i.e. lost to the unit)
Sonstige abgabe (Tick mark indicating that the aircraft was transferred out of the unit for other reasons, the example given in the document being transfer to another Gruppe of the Geschwader)

As a note it is also stated that the aircraft that are unready, but which can be made operational again by so called Truppenmitteln, are not to be reported as Abgang)

I will follow up on the specific questions later this evening, Andrey, but hope that this kind of answer some questions with regards to what exactly the basis for the Bestand and Bewegungsmeldungen kept for statistics and control in the central command structures were based on.

If all units were able to follow up on this in all operational situations is another question.

Regards,
Andreas B