View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 20:12

Six Nifty .50s
Re: German overclaims in the East. Hartmann and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha
Hello Six Nifty .50s

I'm not aware anything in English by Hannu Valtonen.

Yes, in his Pohjoinen Ilmasota (1996) Hannu took rather dim view on claim accuracy on Eastern Front. On Your mentioned specific case, June 1944 over Karelia Istmus, he wrote (pp. 363 - 64) that the claim accuracy was 1:3 in the best case (if all those missing a/c of the 13th Air Army were shot down by fighters) and 1:4 if none of those the 13th Air Army reported missing were lost to fighters. Valtonen gives a couple of reservations to this calculations. He had no info on PVO losses, if any, and because he had no info on VVS KBF (Baltic Fleet's Naval AF) losses he estimated that it's losses were in the same ratio to number of a/c in use than those of 13th Air Army. Also some of the 13th Air Army losses may have occured over Baltic states.

Pohjoinen Ilmasota. Suomeen liittyvät sotatoimet syksystä 1944 kevääseen 1945. Keski-Suomen Ilmailumuseon julkaisuja 5. Jyväskylä 1996. ISBN 951-95688-4-0

Hello again, Six Nifty .50s
I took a little time and checked a newer book, Kalevi Keskinen's and Kari Stenman's LeR 3. Suomen Ilmavoimien Historia 18. Loviisa 2001. ISBN 951-98751-1-5. LeR 3 was the Finnish AF fighter unit which fought over Karelia Isthmus in June 1944. One of the appendix in the book gives all the claims of the sqns belonging to the LeR 3 with the info of the victim's unit if the match is found from Russian documents. And they have found the match in 1:2.23, if I counted right. I don't know if the researcher, who has done the archivial research in Russian archives, has found more matches after the book went to print.

HTH
Juha

Thank you for the reference sources.