View Single Post
Old 1st February 2014, 20:02

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking ID of 2./KG55 He111P, G1+GK, FL in N France probably during May, 1940

Hi Peter,
After re-checking all the accounts of Gillet, it seems all very conclusive that the description w.r.t. crew, timing and location as given above in my first mail is correct.
A few things then still bother me. The first is what on earth a I./KG55 bomber that attacked Avord was doing over Verdun (where it was attacked). Neuburg (its base) to Avord in a straight line passes way south of Nancy, and is nowhere close to Metz/Buzy/Illange. So this aircraft must have seriously swayed off course to arrive there. However, given all evidence apparently it did.
Secondly, you're probably right to suggest that the May 11 loss reported of 1./KG55 at Illange is likely a wrong interpretation of the NVM you quoted. Makes a lot of sense.
Then, strangely enough, in none of the eye witness reports quoted by Gillet the aircraft code is mentioned. So indeed, no certainty it was the G1+GK.
If we then take the NVM which states 1./KG55 (on May 11) it can mean two things: either the aircraft at Buzy was 1./KG55 machine, in which case the code G1+GK would not match, or there was a loss on May 11 but then likely not at Illange. Since the names in the 11-5 NVM entry seem to be the same, the first option is more likely.

Overall I agree it is not yet entirely solved with respect to matching the code to the aircraft.

Regards, Pieter