View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2021, 03:14

Edward is on a distinguished road
Re: USAAF Survivors from Sinking of Italian Submarine Narvalo - 14 Jan. 1943

Stig, I believe that some of the reasons for the lack of documentation on the loss of the 1st Lt. Russell's B-17 is that the bomber and crew had not been assigned to a combat squadron at the time of the loss.

However I cannot explain why an Axis claim for the shootdown of the B-17 does not appear in HMAW vol. 3.

Leenert, thanks very much for locating the 2003 South Florida Sun-Sentinel article on R. Dexter Burley receiving the Purple Heart.

"A Private War"
By Susan J. Park Staff Writer
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
December 28, 2003

"Burley and the other prisoners scrambled to the surface, only to be greeted by three allied destroyers shelling the submarine. "The aftermath was the worst part of the whole thing," Burley said, wincing at the memories. "People getting blown all apart."

For hours they were fired upon, and Burley struggled to stay alive by diving into the water and holding onto the side of the submarine. With the shelling, he realized that he couldn't stay in the area, so he swam out in the bitterly cold water without a life preserver. Miraculously he was spotted and fished out by the British destroyer. But by that time the rough waters had taken their toll on Burley. He was thought to be dead."They shot me in the heart with adrenaline," he said. "They got me breathing and my heart working again."

Below are excerpts of two articles noting Millichamp's rescue of Maj. J.W. Street and the subsequent award.

"Florida Pilot [Navigator] Tells of Escape From Italian Sub"
The Miami News (Miami, Florida)
Sunday, February 21, 1943 - page 24
" "We swam away toward one destroyer, which now stopped firing, but Major Street, who had been a prisoner longer, rapidly tired. I had shed most of my clothes and was managing all right in the choppy sea." (Millichamp is a former life guard). So I asked the major: 'How are you making it?' He nearly choked as he tried to continue to swim and told me: 'All right son. You go ahead.' I just grabbed his shirttail and pretty soon we were having a cigaret with the crew on the destroyer."

"Halifx Decorates 12 U.S. War Heroes"
Confers Awards for Aiding British on Behalf of King George
The Morning Post (Camden, New Jersey)
24 November 1943, Wednesday - page 5
"Lt. Earle Millichamp, Army Air Forces, Lake Wales, Fla., was made a member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE). . . . Millichamp's heroism as a prisoner of war in Africa on a sinking enemy submarine under Allied fire, when he rescued a British Army officer and got him aboard "one of His Majesty's ships."