View Single Post
Old 31st March 2007, 17:14

NickM
Source of some 'apocryphal' 8th AF stories..

Guys:

I recall from reading something as a child (we're talking probably OVER 35 years ago) a couple of unusual events that took place:

A in a badly battered bomb group one of the crewmen was reading a magazine & came across a propaganda ad, showing a smiling, confident air gunner blazing away merrily at a swarm of German fighters with the quote on the ad:
'So, who's afraid of the Big Bad Wulf(as in Focke Wulf, of course)"; he was so upset by this he tore off the ad & took it around his group and EVERY flying member signed a note saying, in big bold capital letters:
"WE ARE!!"
and they sent it back to the magazine company;

Another:

New gunner in a 'heavy'; his first time in combat he see German fighters closing on them & he calls out something like 'fighters coming in fast!'--rather excitedly of course & he forgets to use the 'clock position' giving the direction they're coming from; the pilot asks, "what time?" & the gunner replies "NOW!!"

SO....does anyone know the 'source' of these stories? It's definitely not part of my more modern reading material & I never found it in any of books by Roger Freeman;

TIA

NickM