View Single Post
Old 16th February 2014, 07:47

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Baptism of Fire: The First Combat Experiences of the Royal Hungarian Air Force and Slovak Air Force, March 1939

Mirek,

Two dozen or so sample pages are available via amazon (search inside this book option):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...pf_rd_i=468294

The book covers in detail the activity of the RHAF over Sub-Carpathia and against the independent Slovakia soon after. It starts with October, 1938 with the border crisis. It describes in detail not only the RHAF, but also the Slovak Air Force's activity against RHAF and Hungarian troops.

Hungarian ground troops' general activity was described in the necessary level. The effect of the Slovak air raids against them was published in the extremely detailed way: every killed soldier with his name, unit, rank, position, area, time and cause of the loss, if it is available (i. e. bomb explosion or strafing). Same with the military vehicle losses/damages (unit, area, time, type of the vehicle, with registration plates).

If you are interested in the ground troops, I've published recently a detailed study about the Hungarian anti-tank artillery in March, 1939 in a Hungarian military journal and several other materials on the way (including a long study in a conference proceedings - two years ago, there was an international conference in this topic, where I gave a presentation and for the published version of the proceedings, I've given a long, detailed study - sooner or later it will be available in English as well).

As for the book - the important, Poland related issue was also discussed (reinstating the common border between Hungary and Poland, its strategical importance, plans, the result and consequences of September, 1939 events) So this material is also important from Poland's point of view.

So it is a very detailed material, based mostly on formerly unresearched and unpublished primary sources (although the research is extremely challenging in this case, since very high percent of the original, primary materials are lost). It contains over 150 pictures too, high percent of them are unpublished and the captions are also very detailed with lots of explanations on persons, events, and so on.