Thread: Stanley Orr
View Single Post
Old 14th October 2021, 16:44
Awaiting Confirmation

Flavio
Re: Stanley Orr

Hi Michael,

the information from Cull/Galea book are detailed and the probable and damaged claims are well quoted. The totals they give (and I reported in my previous post) are exclusively confirmed victories.

The controversy arises because the number of victories credited by Cull/Galea to 806 Squadron (86 enemy a/c destroyed, plus 14 probables…) is by far greater than that given by Shores in in “Aces High” (35 confirmed).
Moreover, carefully comparing the victories claimed by Orr, Sewell, Hogg from the two lists, there are several differences, too much, especially for Hogg; the impression is that the sources used were quite different.
Surfing on the net, someone noted that in the 'Selected Bibliography' of Cull/Galea book there was no mention of any of the Air-Britain books, not even 'Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm' or the current 'Squadrons and Units of the Fleet Air Arm' which is a curious omission.

A part from these two books, I have no other books on the subject, neither primary sources to compare with, able to establish what are the correct data. I hope someone on the forum can add something.

Regards
Flavio

PS
If you want I can send you the combat claims list from Cull/Galea book, so you can made the comparison by yourself; send me a PM.