View Single Post
Old 24th January 2024, 10:05
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Italian Aviation in the First World War

Jim, yes that fact that James Davilla had done such an excellent job on French Aircraft of the First World War certainly increased my sense of disappointment. The same publisher too.Unfortunately when French Aircraft of the First World War and Austro Hungarian Aircraft of World War One,also a great book were published,fewer but better books were released. Now it is very much hit and miss.

Picking up on Stig's point about Gregory Alergi,I too think an Italian writer would have been preferable and I've been favourably impressed by Paolo Varriale in earlier works. Looking at Aeronaut's output it seems that some of the better works published have beeen by writers with a native background in relation to the subject covered David Mechin's work Oriental Adventures of the French Air Force and the book by Breuer and Waiss The Kaisers Flyers in Macedonia were both good as are the volumes released so far covering Jasta colours.This is not to say that none native writers haven't produced some good work.Colin Owers two volumes on Junkers aircraft are good and show research.

Where Aeronaut fall down in my eyes is in there preparedness to publish books containing little to zero original research,which given the price of the volumes on Italian aircraft is unacceptable. I might say the same about their first volume on Halberstadt aircraft.Still they've published a second edition of Aviatik aircraft.Dare one hope that one day they will do Italian aircraft of World War One the justice they deserve?

Regards,

Clint