View Single Post
Old 12th June 2014, 19:32

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Forgotten Fifteenth: The Daring Airmen Who Crippled Hitler's War Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger View Post
Dear Csaba,

Does Tillman write in narative style or does he provide more like a daily this is what we did today, what we hit, why, and the results? A couple of days ago an acquaintance asked me about Wasserburg. Did it have anything to do with Me 262 production and, if so, what did it produce? My memory said that it was wiped out in an early, for the Me 262, bombing raid, but I was left scrambling to dig up the facts. Eventually, I uncovered that it was hit by the 15th AF in Sept. 1944, no thanks to the diary type books I have on the 8th AF, but not on the 15th. Once I had a lead, I could provide the needed information.

Regards,
Richard
Dear Richard,

The dimensions of Tillman's book (size and number of pages) already suggests, that it is a narrative style book (the author is a master of such works). I guess, the author, his agent and the publisher noticed the truly visible gap at 15th AAF's history books, so they have produced this work, but not as a day-by-day account, of course. Incidentally it was Kenn C. Rust, who published the first 15th AAF history book back in 1976, but it is a pretty short material, it covers the history of the 15th AAF just in around 40 pages. Rust gives bombing mission lists as well, but it is somewhat inaccurate (for example it contains planned, but not executed raids as well).
I'm sure that there will be much more books about 15th AAF in the more or less close future.

Regards,

Csaba