View Single Post
Old 5th October 2013, 14:22

Wim
Re: Schnaufer's last Bf 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES View Post
Hi,
can you imagine that the Kdore of NJG4 would fly a bird with NJG1 codes?
Yes ! which is in fact what he did.
Since July 1944 until February 1945 he flew all his operations in G9+EF until the aircraft was lost - flown by another crew - on 30th March. One of the rudders of that particular aircraft is in private hands.

As for 3C+BA - Schnaufer did fly with this aircraft. Since his operational aircraft was lost, this 3C rudders were painted as before and the Me 110 was posted in front of the control tower at Eggebeck. The Wiki photo description is correct ! I have corresponded with Langworthy, I know wen the photo was taken, and wen and why Langworthy was there. (Source, correspondence plus his logbook)
There is no doubt that both these rudders ended up in Londen and Australia.

And yes, the Me 110 3C+BA was indeed flown to England (without the rudders in question) on the 23 June with the FuG 218 via Knokke in Belgium - this is were the other photo was taken (see other forum).

Anyway, I will not go into details, I have been discussing this matter already a few times - I have studied ALL rudders, have been to see them personally in Londen - Australia - private - have found (as I recall correctly) 47 mistakes between the rudders in dates, type aircraft...and so on. I even have corresponded with all other authors which dealt with this matter - mistakes were found.

Attached are the two last pages of Schnaufer's second logbook. Perhaps this can clear up a few things !

Wim