View Single Post
Old 1st July 2018, 12:28
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions for Hurricane I production experts

Well, from a quick look (and without comparing with any other Hurricane production source) I'd say that it answers your question about the last aircraft with fabric covered wings as N2422 in the 2nd batch, but also has 170 metal wings from L1977 - serial approximate but 430 on from start.

Looking at the delivery dates suggest very little overlap, so there's something very odd about these later 2-bladers, but it is certainly possible that the change-over wasn't quite immediate.

The suggestion that Hawkers then brought 25 sets of fabric wings back into production six months later is highly suspect. We can imagine some disruption in the delivery of metal wings, but where would the fabric wings come from? Old MU stores, taken from earlier aircraft? In that case why not raid those same stores for spare metal wings?

As for the propellers, a similar story. It is possible that Glosters would initially start with a batch of Watts props in 1939, but having switched to vp or cs props there's be no reversal. What isn't mentioned for Gloster Mk.Is is the Rotol prop, yet the factory was just up the road. I suspect that the mention of Watts or DH props for the second Gloster batch is an error for Rotol or DH.

Rotol props are seen on Gloster airframes in the Battle of Britain. It would be geographically sensible for Gloster to have priority in delivery of Rotols, and Hawkers for DH, but that may well be an unsafe assumption!

Note that any mention of DH props after June 1940 should say constant speed not variable pitch (which in this context implies only two positions.) All Mk.II and later production had Rotols.