View Single Post
Old 13th July 2018, 10:35

azapf1972 is on a distinguished road
Re: Latest from Michael Balss.

Actually, I am in touch with him... and I also ordered a copy his Volume 2. The amazon Preview in this case is "spot on" because no matter how many pages the book has: the structure is always the same as for those that can be previewed. Also check the "Description of format" page that tells you what to expect about the sources.

As for the quality of the data: I have double-checked a few of the entries - they are corresponding to the (hardly readable) GQM Loss Lists of the time. Some are also amended with additional information (although the book does not reference the actual source).

I have also seen Michael's source data (that is: I was allowed a look into his database). Taking 1944 as an example (where no GQM Losses exist): he has roughly 39.000 losses for that year recorded. I would expect these to make it "to the books". Sources are a variety of publications so there might be a good number of errors in there, assuming the original author has made a mistake or published "Mist" (German: rubbish). But the overall compilation that Michael has delivered is (to my knowledge) unique.

On the price: Michael is publishing via amazon (they print and ship) which means that he only gets a fraction of the price. The majority comes from the printing and the fact that the books are rather "thick" (Example: Volume 28 has 334 pages) - at the end of the day, this will be expensive but on the other hand, there is a lot of information (if I recall correctly, January 1944 is roughly 2.400 losses or so).

But be aware: these are data listings. Not more (no stories around the losses) but not less...

Cheers, Andreas

Publications: JG3 - Eastern Front 1941 (eBook) - Nachtjagd mit Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (Paperback, German)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it” - (George Santayana)