View Single Post
Old 20th August 2018, 17:48

Many Souffan is on a distinguished road
Re: Stanislaw, Skalski

Hello Michael.

PI&SM or PISM = Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum.

The Flight was after midday of 8th November.

I give to all the Intelligence Patrol Report.

Engagement of 501 Squadron with part of a force of 30 plus Me 109's near sevenoaks at 13H50 on 8th novevember 1940.

Nine Hurricane of n°501 squadron left Kenley at 13.15 hours and were vectored south. They were sent up to about 28000 feet and given a vector of 040°. Near Sevenoaks, while flying in this direction, Blue 1 (F/Lt Jones) sighted 30 plus me 109's going south-West in the opposite direction about 1000 feet below and spread out in no particular formation about half a mile away on the left. other pilots have reported that there were several Me 109's about. Blue 1 turned and led the squadron round to attack the enemy aircraft from astern. The singled out one and attacked it from astern and below with a short burst, noticing at the same time that the enemy were trying to get onto his tail. Pieces of cowling and black smoke came off from the Me 109 attacked. Blue 1 was then attacked by one of the nearest him. He put his plane into a dive to evade, but having shaken it off, he climbed again to join in the pursuit. Blue 2 (Sgt Whitehouse) also attacked one of the Me 109's from astern and this emitted smoke. He chase another back to the coast.
Red 2, P/O Skalski also attacked another and this E/A gave out black smoke, before he in his turn was attacked. There was not sufficient evidence from the pilots to claim either of thes twa enemy aircraft as having bee damaged, but later it was reported (Royal Observer Corps) that two Me had crashed near Crowborough at 13.52 hours. As it is not possible to allot them individually to the three pilots who engaged they are claimed on behalf the squadron. Blue 1 saw an aircraft spiralling down which he thought wasa Me 109, but later recognized, it was a Hurricane. On the way back he went down to the place he thought it was and saw the pilot did not bale out. It was subsquently confirme that Sgt Grove had crashed at Wilthyham, sussex. Eight Hurricane returned to Kenley at 14.10 hours. The weather was clear with a certain amount of cloud up to 3000 ft. There was tracks of high clouds but the visibility was good.
Our losses Sgt Grove killed
E/A casualties 2 Me destroyed, one Me 109 damaged

[i][b]Note on Intelligence Patrol Report.
No combat report are submitted for the two Me 109'S which crashed near crowborough at 13.52 hours. the three pilots, F/Lt Jones, P/O Skalski and sgt Whitehouse attacked the Me 109's, but they were themselves attacked by other enemy aircraft they did not see the results of their first attacks.
It is therefore not possible to say which the pilot shot them down. though the circumstances and no doubt that they were shot down by the three pilots concerned.
J. C Nixon Squadron Intelligence Officier (P/O)

Hope this document is a good answer...

Thank you

(33) 661 406 013

many.souffan@gmail.com