View Single Post
Old 8th December 2017, 06:05

Luftwaffle8 is on a distinguished road
Re: what a slimey person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Hi guys

I don't wish to cause a controversy, but when it comes to using photographs in my books I invariably find myself in a quandary.
I'm the first to admit that I don't fully understand copyright laws, that seem to vary from country to country, but perhaps naively I believe that photographs, particularly of a historical nature, should be available for all to see - and use. Surely no one 'owns' them apart from the individual who took the original, and presumably he/she would have wanted to share the image? Surely, the more who see the image in an appropriate setting, the greater appreciation of said image will be possible?

Shoot me down!

Brian
I agree 110% with you Brian! I knew some people who would visit veterans, make copies from the vets' photo albums, then uses them in books and magazines, and claims copyright! The vets could care less.
I've posted photos given to me by veterans, and eventually, others will use the images. Do I mind? Absolutely not! As far as I am concerned, the photos belong to history. Photographs of a commercial, creative or business nature are different. But WWII photos? No.

I've found old military photos at garage sales, eBay, and collector/gun shows. I will use them. When I am contacted for permission to use, I tell them, "Go ahead and use it! It's not necessary to credit me with the photo. The photographer is unknown."