View Single Post
Old 24th December 2017, 18:03
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Me410 14/KG2 20th December 1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Holmes View Post
My guess is that subsequently Strasser would have been interrogated at Cockfosters and then moved either to the U.S. or Canada. He may even have spent some time at a camp in the UK, doing farm labouring.

Graham Holmes
Standard route for German pows was Cockfosters - pow camp in the UK - shipped to Canada.

Once the war was over, they were technically no longer pows. From those I interviewed many years (read decades!) ago, they were given two options: 1) stay put in camp and do nothing until repatriated; or 2) get out and do work under the guidance of the military authorities.

So, Otto Hintze (Staka, 3./Erpr. Gr. 210, pow 29/10/40) told me he did work as a lumberjack for a year or so in Canada, and loved it, prior to returning to the UK, and on back to Germany.
Georg Jakstadt (9./ZG 26, pow 27/9/40), upon being returned to England went out 5 days a week with others and worked on a farm in Cambridgeshire, prior to repatriation.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!