View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2005, 21:13
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Nifty .50s
This is off topic, just an F.Y.I.
I was looking through The Royal Air Force of World War Two: In Color and chanced upon a color photo of Squadron Leader Skalski's Spitfire EN459. The picture was made sometime after the aircraft crash-landed at Gabes with Flight Lieutenant Horbaczewski at the controls. The photo shows the Spitfire with wings and front cowl removed; the fuselage was propped up on a stand and a few mechanics appear to be working on the engine or perhaps removing it.
Thanks for thinking of me. Actually, the photo held at IWM, is quite well known here. It was taken some time after Horbaczewski nursed the Spitfire back to own lines on 6 April 1943 and the aircraft seems to be put back together after some repairs. There are also some B&W photos taken at the time.
I am not sure if this is Freeman's book, if so, there is a colour photo of 309 Sqn Mustang taken at USAAF airfield and credited to the late Stan Wyglendowski. I think it was actually taken by a one of US correspondents and I would love to learn where to look for a better copy.
Quote:
... December 21, 1943 was a black day for the 78th because through poor aircraft recognition four RAF Typhoons were shot down by mistake in a bounce during a B-26 area support near Doullens, France. It should also be stated that in the same fight, RAF Spitfires also shot down one of their own Typhoons, making five in all lost to faulty identification.
I am awared of two Typhoons downed and one damaged (With US pilot at the controls!) of 609 Sqn and a single downed Spitfire of 501 Sqn. Another Typhoon was lost later that day due to malfunction. No information of any Typhoon downed by Spits.
Cheers