View Single Post
Old 26th July 2014, 05:24

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
Re: MiG-15 with dragon motif

Hi Tim.
No problems with late reply - that's the wonderful thing about forums.

I just tend to wonder how much detail you'd actually see in a relatively high-speed, turning dogfight. Especially when the Sabres tended to be outnumbered, and effective gun ranges are at about 400m. Did Thompson see this during a lower speed pass near a shot down opponent when he had more time to "take in the view" without concern of other attackers? Or was it a glimpse of the side of a MiG-15 while it flashed past?

A big red buzz number on a fast moving silver MiG, does a 2582- look like a dragon?
_

I agree that it's more likely to be a Chinese (or Korean) aircraft.....but in an oriental culture(s) which appreciate dragons, I think something that "cool" would be the subject of a lot of interest.....propaganda photos, profiles, noted in aviation texts, etc! Imagine the headlines..."Eastern Dragon Flyer smites Yankee Imperialists!". Of course it would have to be a four-toe dragon (of the common folk), not a five-toe Imperial dragon!

Have a look at the ACIG Journal site for some typical Russian, Chinese and PR Korean MiG-15 profiles and markings:
http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_317.shtml

Regards,...geoff

Last edited by bearoutwest; 26th July 2014 at 05:41. Reason: Added comment