View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 11:54

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: July 1940 - What really happened to II./KG 76 and I./StG 76 ?

Doug & Andreas,

Thanks for the inputs. On the balance of evidence currently available I remain sceptical that the bulk of I./StG76 ever went to form III./StG77.

It is also clear from the information now provided by Andreas that II.(St.)/KG76 did not ‘commence conversion to the Ju87 on 1 February 1940’ but later. Beyond that I note that they recorded no loss or damage involving the type from that date, (a reasonable expectation if they were working up new equipment), while contemporary documentary evidence (Flugbuch & RAF Interrogation) indicates Do17s continued in uninterrupted service throughout the period which seems puzzling. GQM Returns also report Do17 losses daily from May 10. What is clear is that some of the original II.(St.)/KG76 crews underwent conversion training throughout this period pending its eventual re-designation as III./StG77 on July 6, 1940.

My information on the origins of personnel comes from an analysis of personal IDs contained in the original Namentliche Verlustmeldung of all units concerned and, as such, includes those of I./StG76.