View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:12
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Luftwaffe Aircraft Loss Reports?

Hi Rod,

Again, you have provided a super tanker full of previously unknown detail on this collection!

I wholeheartedly agree with your analysis and hypothesis concerning the microfilm rolls. I knew that 17 reels of 35mm film would contain far too many frames for just 17 microfiche sheets, and concluded that they must include other material, too. But I had no clue what they might be until you revealed that the RAF had been busy microfilming parts of the overall collection.

Also, it appears from your description that the total collection was far larger and more encompassing than I had previously thought. I remember seeing postwar papers and correspondence on the collection at Suitland but I did not pay much attention or attempt to read through them at the time because I was focused on other things. But I have vague recollections that the collection was originally in the hands of the post hostilities intelligence teams who, realizing what they had, quickly turned it over to the graves registration command echelons.

I think a researcher with the motivation and time could turn this into a good book that describes the collection's German origins, how it was found in the ruins of the Reich, how it was exploited by the intelligence and graves people after being divided among the four allies, and how in lay dormant for many years before enthusiasts began showing a renewed interest in it.

Thanks again, Rod.

Larry