View Single Post
Old 5th August 2008, 22:37
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Book on French AF 1939-40?

I'll only answer the comments on the date and reason for Douglas' visit.

The high ranking french officer's didn't come to the field, the British delegation visits them (at their respective headquarters?). I simply haven't quoted the continued text.

Douglas is just expressing surprise that there is no welcome, which is then explained by the impending air attack. Something that could serve as a confirmation of the date.

The talks themselves don't seem out of place either, the British looking for some reassurance in case Italy entered the war. The extended text wasn't quoted by me, so don't be to quick to dismiss events.

He experienced an air raid on his aerodrome in WW1, with casualties, that would have been dwarfed by the attack on Villacoublay by virtue of technology and numbers of planes involved. His personal courage should not be questioned, he was just being realistic in his assessment.

It would be nice if anyone could confirm the airfield and date.

I'm disappointed to see a lot of assumptions and at best educated guesses.

If the dates and places are correct, I am not convinced that Douglas did not see numerous fighters, and that he did see air force personnel in the officers' mess. Whatever misinterpretations he may have made, it left a bad impression on him.

Sholto Douglas isn't gospel, just a high ranking british air officer who wrote his experiences of two world wars and his life before, in between and after. In short an autobiography as many...

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;