View Single Post
Old 12th January 2009, 22:27

Doug Stankey will become famous soon enough
Re: Flak/AA - Why do we not research it ?

Larry deZeng sent me his comments on this topic which the readership should find enlightening:

"I have been researching the Flakwaffe for over 30 years, albeit from an organizational, command and operational point of view that includes unit histories. I found that the Flak Abschuss-Berichten in the so-called "Claims" microfilms are a nightmare to try and work with. The entries were made by the numerous Luftwaffenhelferinnen in the Luftwaffenpersonamt (LP 5, I think) in various pencil colours. Some of these ladies wrote in Sütterlin while others had some even more difficult handwriting styles. If that isn't enough, the microfilming was done between August 1944 and February 1945 using wartime film of dubious quality that today is very badly faded and extremely difficult to work with because the lighter pencil colours are no longer visible. Also, the Abschuss location entered on the log sheets is either illegible or given in a peculiar grid coding system that is largely unknown to most.

In Signatur RL 5 at BA-MA Freiburg, there is a collection of 506 folders totaling some 12 linear meters (nearly 40 feet!) of Flak Abschuss-Berichten that also includes details on the location, strength and subordination relationship of the Flak formations. This would seem to be the motherlode for any researcher wanting to document Flak claims and victories. This rich hoard could then be used in conjunction with the so-called "Luftgau" collections kept in the
U.S. (and British?) National Archives that give details on the investigation of downed Allied aircraft crash sites with frequent reports as to what and who brought the plane down."

Any brave souls out there going to attempt taming this tiger?

DGS