View Single Post
Old 28th May 2007, 19:04

kjetilk is on a distinguished road
Re: 19 Squadron RAF ( Mustang III ) losses 17th September 1944

Just to add further details.

Extracted from the combat report (September 17th, 1944), No. 19 Squadron:

Time ut & down: 1532-1802. Place of attack: W.EMMERICH. Time of attack: 1700. Height of E/A on first sighting: 14,000 feet. Height of own A/C first sighting: 11,000 feet. Our casualties: 1 Mustang Cat. E. F/O R.A.D. Slee, (lost in combat, no information), 1 Mustang Cat. B.

Enemy Casulaties: 1 Fw 190 destr. F/Lt E.S. Hughes, 1 Me 109 dam. shared, F/O J.M. Maynard and F/O F.D. Webster, 1 Fw 190 Dam. shared, F/O J.A. Scott, W/O J.D. Beckett, 2 Fw 190 Dam. F/O J.E. Staples, DFM.

F/Lt Hughes reports: "I was leading 8 a/c of 19 sqdn and flying Jamjar 1. We had been relieved on patrol by 122 Squadron and were leaving the area on an armed recce of the road East of Emmerich when we were informed by Kenway that bandits were approaching from the East. We commenced to climb and at 12,000ft sighted 3 large gaggels of FW190's totalling 50/60 aircraft, flying on a course of approx 300 degs at 14,000ft. We were flying a course of 160 degs and the e/a appeared not to see us, so we made a full turn starboard and climed into the sun to attack the e/a.The e/a saw us an also turned to starboard. After both they and we had completed a 360 degs turn in this manner the e/a still had the advantage of height, and we finally levelled off for 3/4 seconds heding roughly west at about 15,000ft and waited for the 190's to attack. As the e/a closed their range to approx 6/800 yds we broke hard to starboard into them. Almost immediately a FW190 apperard right in front of me at very close range and I fired a short burst. I then lost sight of the 190 under my nose, but after continuing the turn I saw the 190 almost directely below me spinning down streaming white smoke and I saw the hood came off and the pilot bale out. I had to continue turning tightly as my No2 - F/O Maynard - was being attacked by 4/5 190's. F/Lt McNeil who was flying Jamjar 4 also saw my 190 spinning down and the hood came off. Immediately after my attack on the 190 I saw an ME109 creeping up between my No2 and myself. I saw my No2, F/O Maynard, firing at the 109 and subsequently saw a 109 spinning down, out of control. We finnaly succeeded in breaking off the attacks and returned to base. I claim 1 FW190 destroyed. cino Camera used. No Gyro gun-sight used."

The combat report also contains personal reports from F/O Staples, F/O Manyard and F/O Webster and partly F/O Scott (page 3 is missing).

I hope the info is useful,

Kjetil