View Single Post
Old 28th January 2009, 01:39

George Hopp
Re: Me110: Ill-used in BoB

Quote:
Hello George
the gunner seat had very low back only up to the lumbar region, or what ever in English, and he was able to stand up if he wanted to fire downwards and for this he had a free standing belt attached to the floorboard. He well might also had a lap strap, at least for use during take offs and landings, but I'm not sure of that but probably he had. John surely knows the answer. Anyway he was not strapped onto his seat as tightly as pilot.
Juha
Thanks for that, Juha. But, the rear gun does not seem capable of firing downwards to any great degree. The field-of-fire diagram is for the 110E in which a framed cuff reduced the field-of-fire compared to earlier 110s. This was described as being introduced to prevent the shooting of the 110's rudders. Notice that in the attached diagram the gun can't even fire horizontally. Perhaps earlier gun set-ups could shoot beneath the horizon, but I haven't yet found any diagrams for these earlier set-ups.

In going through the 110 handbooks I found the following sketch which indicates that the radop/gunner had two seats, the forward, folding, one, with lap strap obviously, as John noted, for take-off and landing. And, the rear one for gunnery duties, with, as you mentioned, a strap attached to the cockpit floor.

Quote:
Thank you George. Fernando and I did the 'C', 'D' & 'E'. Are you going to complete the set by doing the 'F' & 'G' given your extensive knowledge of these variants?
Aw, John, you and Fernando did such a fine job on the 'C', 'D' & 'E' book that finishing the job with one on the 'F' and 'G' would be a great conclusion to your work on the Bf 110. I would be happy to help in any way that I could, but from your superb knowledge of the 'F' and 'G' that I have noted already, I can see that you would hardly need any.