View Single Post
Old 8th May 2014, 00:34
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Vichy French DB-7 a/c post "Torch"

Vichy French DB-7 a/c post "Torch"

Hello,
I have often wondered about the fate of those DB-7's that were Vichy Air Force after "Torch".

In Morocco
GB I/32 had 13 a/c.
GB II/32 had 13 a/c.
In Algeria
GB I/19 and GB I/61 between them had 26 a/c possibly 13 a/c each as the above two units did.
Total = 52 a/c.
The following I accept as Lost in action.
8th Nov 42, one (BG 1/19) s/d by Seafires, one(GB II/61 destroyed on t/o by FAA Martlets. Others (GB I/32) were caught on the ground by Wildcats, at least a two destroyed and four were badly damaged.
In the pm VF-41 Wildcats hit and destroyed three (GB1/32) and one damage, which left only three serviceable.
Also in the afternoon GB I/32 received two replacements from Gabon.
9th Nov 42, one (GB II/32) s/d by AA fire from "Lakeshurst". Five/six were destroyed on the ground by VF-9, three (GBII/32) blew up and GBI/32's last two were set ablaze. A single a/c of GB II/32 was destroyed on the ground in the late pm.
losses would have been -
GB I/32 - 1 s/d; 13 Destroyed on ground; 2 damaged.
GB II/32 - 1 s/d; 5/6 Destroyed on ground; 1 damaged.
GB I/19 - 1 s/d.
GBII/61 - 1 destroyed on ground.
These numbers are not 100% but I would say that about 50 % of the DB-7's were lost which left 50% either captured or in French forces hands. So did they later fight on with the French alongside the Allies or were they taken over by the Allied forces and SoC/Scraped or were they returned to the USA ?
Anyone know just what became of them ?
Thanks
Alex