Thread: 29 MAY 1940
View Single Post
Old 17th July 2008, 07:00

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: 29 MAY 1940

Hello again Malcolm,

I regret that IMO you will be unable to verify DILLNUTT's claim. Luftwaffe losses are quite well documented so we can be fairly sure that no Bf109Es were lost, or even suffered significant damage, on May 29, 1940, during the engagement with the Ansons of Nos. 48 and 500 Squadrons. This applies to all units and not solely II./JG26 who we know was that principally involved.

The original source for this would be the Luftwaffe Quartermaster General's Returns Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt.(Ic) a copy of which is held by the Imperial War Museum in London. However, several published sources (and I believe web sites) provide essentially the same information. I recommend the excellent Jagdfliegerverbande der Deutschen Luftwaffe: Teil 3 by Prien, Stemmer, Rodeike, & Bock which documents all losses by German fighter units for the period and incorporates the best current research.

A case of wishful thinking by the RAF I suppose, but the story gained considerable credence at the time and has clearly lost nothing by being repeated fairly regularly over the intervening years.