View Single Post
Old 4th March 2005, 15:26

Rabe Anton
Timothy,

". . . Do 217s of KG 100. . . " refers to Dornier 217 medium bombers on charge with Kampfgeschwader 100. The Do 217 was one of the Luftwaffe's standard twin-engined bomber designs and was usually employed in the horizontal bombing mode. Certain later versions (Do 217K) were equipped to carry the Hs 293 standoff missile. These K subtypes had longer wing spans. Do 217s could also carry the Fritz-X guided bomb mentioned in a previous post. There is ample information about the Do 217 available in published sources, the best probably being Manfred Griehl, Dornier Do 217, 317, and 417. Digging around on the worldwide web and especially in the literature of German aircraft ordnance will surely reveal ample information about the Fritz-X.

Kampfgeschwader ("KG") simply designates a GAF horizontal bomber unit, in this instance, KG 100.

Nick Beale is entirely correct in his observation that the Fritz X weapon demanded very different tactics and had quite different characteristics from the Hs 293. Armor penetration alone, however, would not have been much of a factor in either a Hs 293 or a Fritz-X attack on USS Savannah, since that warship was a cruiser with a very thin skin all over.

Given what I'm reading from you, I'd suggest that you take a look at Alfred Price, The Luftwaffe Data Book, for a basic introduction to Luftwaffe combat units, flying equipment, and terminology. I suspect that the appropriate volume of Samuel Eliot Morison's magisterial and highly lucid History of U.S. Naval Operations in World War II also would have much to offer you in regard to the sea-air war during AVALANCHE.

I don't wish to seem ascerbic nor to discourage your development of historical interests, but you must understand the long-established first rule of historical investigation: Begin with a thorough literature search, starting with the most general sources and working towards the more specialized and less accessible. Discussion boards such as this one are not a substitute for rigorous literature searches and publications acquisitions.

RA