View Single Post
Old 24th August 2019, 18:30
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Freikorps Air Force Air to Air Victories

Just a couple of things I remember about this, based on two books I read a while go: "Operation Kronstadt" by Harry Ferguson (about British naval and covert intervention in the Baltic) and "The Vanquished: Why the First World War Failed to End, 1917-1923" by Robert Gerwarth.

I don't think either mentioned Freikoprs air power but they do provide a lot of background to the conflicts that continued in "peacetime". In theory, of course, Germany should not have had military aircraft after the Versailles Treaty was signed in 1919 and I believe that Allied inspection teams were sent in to enforce this. As I understand it the Freikorps fought Bolsheviks within Germany but was fighting the Poles on Germany's eastern borders. The Poles were themselves fighting the Red Army's attempts to move west in 1920 and defeated them in the Battle of Warsaw. However there was a German force in the Baltic states that essentially refused to give up in 1918 and fought the (Red) Russians during the Russian Civil War. As far as I know this was a regular army formation (or began as one) rather than being raised as a Freikorps.