View Single Post
Old 20th August 2010, 14:51

hucks216 is on a distinguished road
III/KG 26, Y-Gerat & Coventry 14/11/1940.

I am currently writing up a Wehrpass to a pilot of III/KG 26 who flew missions before, during & after the transition of that unit to carrying Y-Gerat. On the campaign pages of his WP is an entry for participating in the large scale attack on Coventry on the 14th November 1940.
According to Doug & Larry's Luftwaffe Bombers...Vol 1 it mentions the two minor 2 aircraft sorties to Coventry & Birmingham on the 12th & 13th November but no mention of the major raid on the 14th (although I am aware that as a condensed history it would of been impossible to cover all raids by the unit) and in The Blitz T&N Vol 2 it only mentions 28 HE-111's of KG 26 (no Gruppen mentioned, nor any specific roles) for the major raid, and with no mention of III/KG 26 in a pathfinder role on that night in Pfadfinder by Ken Wakefield. I had originally thought that it was possibly a mis-dated entry in the Wehrpass and it was actually referring to the 2 A/C raid on the 12/13th November but the entry does say 'Great Attack...'
As a pathfinder unit in its early days would III/KG 26 of still been used on this mission as just a standard bombing unit or would he of been one of a handful of pilots on the raid to gain experience in using Y-Gerat (although the main pathfinders for the raid were using X-Gerat)?

Last edited by hucks216; 30th June 2014 at 13:32.