View Single Post
Old 20th March 2011, 23:26

DiegoZampini is on a distinguished road
Re: Erich Hartmann - several questions

Rasmussen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmussen View Post
Maybe we have to discuss how reliable/complete are your secondary sources and not the German loss records. Only one example:
- W.Nr. 10360 wasn't an F-4 but an G-2
You are fully right. It was a G-2. My mistake. But it is not a problem of my sources, they are reliable. It is just that I made a typo.

Quote:
- the a/c wasn't scrapped but used by Stab/ JG 54 and in January 1943 searched by Lz.4/108 and send to Erla VII in Antwerpen
In fact my source says that the aircraft was damaged in a 50% - a serious damage but still not a writte-off, which seems to match with your data. But that contradicts the account of Nowotny's wingman, Karl "Quax" Schnörrer:
' "The Russians have had me shot up! I've got 'blisters' on my wings!" Nowotny cried over the radio: We desperately shook off the enemy and made a quick escape at low level. With smoke pouring out of the hit engine, Nowotny's Messerschmitt 109 made a hastily landing at Tulebya airfield. Rushing on the landing strip at 100 mph, the engine suddenly burst into flames. At a speed of 60 mph, Nowotny blew off his and left his plane in a true do-or-die jump. The burning Messerschmitt continued rolling another 30 meters, and then exploded.'
If I did not misinterpreted this account, this Bf.109 was destroyed in the explosion. Or is Schnörrer refering to another different incident? If it is the case, once again it is not mentioned in loss records either. If somebody have more info, it would be very good to discuss it.
Best regards to you too, Rasmussen. I apologyze for my earlier typo. Thank you very much for correcting it.
Diego