View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2019, 16:00
Johnston51

Re: German Eagles in Spanish Skies: The Messerschmitt Bf 109 in Service with the Legion Condor during the Spanish Civil War, 1936–39

I readily admit that I am no Christopher Shores and would like to say that I am an admirer of his works, especially his Malta titles, however I must point out that it was not my intention to write a "campaign" book on the Spanish Civil War. I have been interested in the Legion's 109s for many years and it has long been a desire to publish something on the subject, but first I wanted to have something new to offer. After discovering the original Legion Condor files in Germany I felt that the information they contained justified going ahead. Sadly they cover but a brief period of about 7 months, but it is an interesting one covering the arrival in Spain of the three prototypes and fourteen Bf 109 A fighters. If only they were available for the entire war!
As to the Bf 109 D aircraft in the 6 - 90 serial range, I was previously unaware of their existence. I collected photos of Legion 109s for several decades and had access to two large private collections, but there were no photos of these aircraft. I have since obtained a good photo of 6 - 95 and hope to find others for a second edition.
My main aim in writing this book was to add to the available knowledge on the subject, nothing more. If I am to be criticized for not delving into the Republican side in a book subtitled "The Messerschmitt Bf 109 in Service with the Legion Condor", then so be it.