View Single Post
Old 21st September 2005, 01:13

Adam
Re: Auf Gefallen Kameraden

His real name was David Newbie. His interest was German maritime operations and units and he an I - along with the greatfully received help and advise from Dave Wadman - were working on KuFlGr 906.

I have passed on to his wife the best wishes and sympathy of all members of the board and she has asked me to in return pass on her gratitude, not only for your kind thoughts and words but also for the efforts and answers you provided David in the last weeks of his life. David wasn't a big hitter in terms of postings or knowledge but what he lacked in expertese he made up for in enthusiasm and honesty and the exchange of information and ideas, and even some of the arguments and associated egos on the board made a difference to the quality of his life. Right until the end I would print out all recent messages posted on the boards, including print-outs of some of Ed Wests ebay links, to take with me when I visited him in hospital. As his wife noted, it made all the difference to him and gave him something to focus on and take his mind away from the terrible situation he was facing.

A more gentle, genuine and honest man you would not find. He is to be laid to rest on Sunday in a private ceremony.

Should you be so moved his family have asked that you donate something (however small) to your local cancer research centre as a sort of 'flowers-in-lieu' gesture.

David Newbie, may he Rest In Peace.