View Single Post
Old 4th March 2007, 09:42

Nefiakoff is on a distinguished road
Aces Oblt. Stoll & Oblt. Buhl, both KiA in BoB

Hello,

I’m looking for informations about 2 BoB Jagdwaffe aces, staffelkapitäne, both killed in September 1940 – Oblt. Jakob Stoll and Oblt. Adolf Buhl.
It seems incredible, but every list of Luftwaffe aces with 5 or more victories achieved during BoB, found by me, have never mentioned about them !

I’m interested in awards, promotions, dates & places of births, details of their Bf 109s (W.Nrs, profiles, loss reports), circumstances of their lost fights, graves or any other.
I also have never seen any photo of them – would be very grateful for anyone.

Here are some details I know:

Jakob Stoll
Probably credited with 14 vics.
Claimed his first vics on 6 and 7 Nov. 1939 as a Leutnant, flying in 9./JG 53 (III/JG 53 was commanded by Hptm. Werner Mölders in that time). Claimed further 3 vics during French Campaign (+ 1 unconf.) flying in the same unit.
His first victory in BoB was a Spitfire shot down on 25 August – probably he was then a pilot of 8./JG 53.
Achieved 7 more victories in September, including his last – 3 Spitfires (or 2 Hurricanes and a Spitfire) – on 15 Sept. in two missions.
Probably on beginning of this month he was promoted to Oblt. and became staffelkapitän of 9./JG 53.
Shot down and killed on 17 September. On that day 109s from II and III/JG 53 were attacked by 41 and 501 Sqn. near Ashford. Later into this airfight came also 5 Spitfires from 19 Sqn. and Hurricanes from 303 (polish) Sqn. – over Channel Sgt. Wojciechowski claimed 1 Bf 109 shot down.

Adolf Buhl
Credited with 9 vics.
Probably spent all his cereer in 1(J)./LG 2.
Achieved 3 vics in French campaign – his first as an Ofw. on 18 May and 2 on 21 June as an Oblt.
Claimed 6 further vics in BoB: 2 in August and 4 in September, also became staffelkapitän of 1(J)./LG 2.
On 2 September shot down a Spitfire and saved life of a young pilot from his staffel – yet-unknown Fhr. Hans-Joachim Marseille.
All facts are pointing that Marseille didn’t manage to revenge the same to his staffelkapitän – on 27 September Marseille claimed a Hurricane as his 6th kill, but Oblt. Buhl was shot down and killed. I(J)/LG 2 was attacked by 242 and 310 (Czech) Sqn. over Thames’ estuary and Buhl was the only one gruppe’s victim on that day.

Thank you for help connected with these unpopular and unappreciated pilots.

Nef