View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010, 20:53

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road
Re: Gruppe & Staffel Colours (Confusion Between Published Sources)

Hi, Clint...

The Rosch publication's chart is one I haven't looked at, despite having the book for many years! I cannot say it is inaccurate, but in my own experience, I have never read of a VI.Gruppe in any Geschwader, which is what 16., 17. and 18.Staffel would represent to me in a standard unit, or indeed a VII.Gruppe, which would be inferred by 19. and 20.Staffel. Also, the last chart you provide as an example shows the letters alphabetically disjointed against the additional higher-numbered Staffeln. Doesn't make for a tidy arrangement, I don't think.

Also in that book, the substitution of 'G' as V.Gruppe indicator over 'E' is unusual to me. I am aware that Transportgeschwadern had letters allocated to different Staffeln when compared to other units (the Jagdwaffe excepted, as they tended to use numbers & symbols), but that was due to them, almost always to my knowledge, regularly having four Staffeln per Gruppe as opposed to the more standard three Staffeln.

It's also no secret that there were anomalies in the codes at times, but generally speaking, I would have to say I don't presently agree with the Rosch chart, and even if it is accurate in any way, I think the Luftarchiv example is much more readily accepted as being the 'standard' chart.

Regards,
Paul