View Single Post
Old 24th January 2013, 12:51
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Oblt Hartmann Grasser of II./JG 51, 24 January 1942

Hello,

I am trying to learn more about what happened to Oblt Hartmann Grasser, Gruppenkommandeur of II./JG 51, on 24 January 1942.

Here is what is on :
"on 24 January 1942, after downing his 45th opponent, Grasser was shot down in Bf 109 F-2 (W.Nr. 9204). He baled out, landing behind Russian lines but despite a serious eye injury, was able to make his way back to German lines. After a lengthy stay in hospital recovering from his wounds, Grasser returned to the front to record his 50th victory on 23 June."

And here is what is on Prien JFV book:
_ Oblt Grasser claimed a DB-3 shot down at 1245 hrs, no location given. It was his 46th victory.
_ He was effectively shot down in an air battle this day but was flying the Bf 109 F-2 WNr 9704 (different WNr) and force-landed (no bail out) at Waraponowa.
_ according to the unit narrative, Grasser was wounded by return fire from the DB-3 he shot down and should force-land in no man's land. Troops from both sides were sent to find him but the German patrol found him first.
_ Grasser returned to II./JG 51 at least in March claiming his two next victories on 31 March.

I have not been able to find a place called Waraponowa, even by using different letter variations. I would like to know if someone can identify the loss location or area.

By the way if someone is able to identify the DB-3 involved, if will be an appreciated bonus. Two other DB-3 were claimed one hour before by other pilots of II./JG 51, and one location is known: east of Tschaikowka.

Thanks in advance

Laurent