View Single Post
Old 27th February 2019, 16:35
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Pierre Clostermann's victories

Dear all,

My sample of the Magazine arrived last Friday (to Brazil)...and yes, Mr. CONY did a mervellous work cross-checking ALL serial numbers flown by Clostermann, from the 17 DH 82 Tiger Moths up to the Tempests he flew.

There are several wonderful pictures and German losses for grand part of his claims are submitted on the side. Of course, there are some gaps (but I guess this is due to Luftwaffe archives being unwritten in late 1945), like the Do 18 and Ju 352 serial numbers or unit, on the Grossembode affair.

Another delicate subject is the DSO which is seen on Clostermann's Medals Panel...and on some pictures taken after the war on his chest.

Unknown to me, so far, was that Clostermann flew a Fw 190 captured and a Mark XIV Spitfire...which is very very nice.

I most say that I was really happy to see such a vast amount of information being published and corrected. It is a wonderful tribute to one of the Greateast Aces of WW2, even though his memoirs (Le Grand Cirque) do have its faults. As I said before, it is mostly due to Clostermann's Big Show and JUBELIN (Marin de Métier pilote de fortune) that I became myself a civilian commercial pilot.

Congratulations to all the co-authors (copilots) of this Article, persons like Matti Salonnen (for instance) who do have helped quite a number of us here on this Forum and to whom we do owe quite a number of beers...

Fully recommended reading (with some 10+ Art of Clostermann's machines)...

MR. CONY, do you believe a Revision of Le Grand Cirque will see light one near futur with the Historical Corrections?

Again MERCI and keep going!

Adriano S. Baumgartner, ASV 00.344