View Single Post
Old 19th February 2020, 08:48
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Farman F.393 F-ANFS

Yes I would say you are pretty accurate there Nick

A good question Ed, and admittedly I am on thin ice when answering, but from a general point, I would say most countries in Europe placed a ban on civil flying (except needed commercial flying useful for the authorities as such). Countries being neutral, such as Sweden, later allowed some general flying to take place when it was realised both private individuals as well as certain flying clubs could be of some use.

I think the basic/general idea was in fact to stop all waste of resources, petrol for example became immediately rather scarce and the thinking was probably to simply place "small" or rather "useless" aircraft in storage.

After a while it was realised by the warring nations that instead of just putting aircraft in "barns" some might actually be quite useful for the military effort for example being used for both training and liasion, hence the impressment of useful types. I doubt any impressed aircraft were actually intended for frontline service, but certain transport aircraft indeed found themselves "in the thick of it" even if that was not the intention....

From where I sit I would say it was easier in Great Britain since a large number of civil aircraft (such as DH Moth and Tiger Moth) were already in military service and must have been very easily incorporated within RAF.
Without having studied the subject, it was probably more difficult with France but the Caudron and larger Farman types must also have been very useful.
The impression I get is that it was more organized in GB and a bit more haphazard in France, but that could well be me not knowing the exact details.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has actually studied this subject and find out how all this took place in more detail.

Cheers
Stig