View Single Post
Old 18th November 2017, 15:30

Mikkel Plannthin
Re: Supplying China from India

I would recommend.
  • Koenig, W. J. (1972). Over the hump: airlift to China. New York: Ballantine Books.
  • Spencer, O. C. (1994). Flying the Hump : memories of an air war. College Station: Texas AM University Press.
  • Thorne, B. K. (1965). The Hump; the great military airlift of World War II. Philadelphia: Lippincott.

I have been researching a Danish pre-war navy pilot who volunteered for the RCAF in 1940. He was employed by the partly Pan-Am owned China National Aviation Corporation (CNAC), who had been flying commercially in China since the 1920. CNAC pioneered the Hump route. You do not mention if your Chinese brothers were USAAF, but they could have been CNAC as well.

If it's CNAC there are a couple of books on this company as well, e.g.
  • Leary, W. M. (1976). The dragon’s wings : the China National Aviation Corporation and the development of commercial aviation in China. Athens: University of Georgia Press.
  • Willett, R. L. (2008). An airline at war : the story of Pan Am’s China National Aviation Corporation and its men. [Charleston, SC]: BookSurge.

According to the Danish pilot, who died in a crash in Hong Kong in 1948 still working for CNAC, the main enemy flying the Hump was not the Japanese, but the weather (and the mountains).

Mikkel Plannthin