View Single Post
Old 8th April 2018, 02:17

Schenck
Re: Evasion of H. Theobald from RAF 253 Sqn

There are only two references I found about W/O Theobald's evasion; the first is probably the one you refer to, escapee report SKP308, part of the crew from 779th BS/464th BG, downed over Yugoslavia on 17 Oct 1944. And there is a card in NA with his name referring to his escape (among approximately 80 cards of evaders from Yugoslavia), the return date is given as 14 Dec - probably when the group arrived Split - but I never managed to find corresponding evasion report. There is only one folder with evaders from Yugoslavia, but it contains only 8 reports (I think), and there are some miscellaneous ones in AIR51 series, 260 - 280 (microfilms), but most of RAF ones are later dates and quite a few barely readable or totally unreadable. His name did not pop up among reports from OSS stations (WO204 (or was it WO208?) series - papers) or BATS reports. I haven't done any serious research since 2014 and haven't been to NA since Sep 2016, so I do not know if all this digitalization brought out any new historical material, which can be browsed.