View Single Post
Old 17th September 2006, 11:32

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road
Map References, Celle, April 1945

In researching the arrival of 41 Squadron in B.118 Celle, on 16 April 1945, I have been studying the town's capture by elements of the 15th Scottish Division on 12 April. The Scottish Division's War Diary gives several map references without naming the locations.

Troops found on the early morning of 12 April 1945 that a bridge at 570496 was still intact, and one Company was ordered to form a bridgehead between there and the railway line at 577497. Another Company was instructed to form a bridgehead over the Aller River on the main road crossing at grid reference 589506, and a third Company was sent to capture a bridge at 622484 intact. Before they could capture their bridge, however, they were involved in a skirmish just outside town at 604483.

Is there any way I can find out what these references were? I am hoping that someone on the TOCH forum might have needed to make similar enquiries with their own research in the past, and may therefore be able to point me in the right direction. All these references are in and around Celle on 12 April 1945.

Thanks
Steve