View Single Post
Old 6th September 2021, 12:05

Rolfeb is on a distinguished road
Re: New Book 2./NAGr 13 and III./JG 76, IV.JG 53 in Donaueschingen

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonventer View Post
Just to add to what Fred Trendle said:

I agree that this is a very well-researched, high-quality publication. It's profusely and colorfully illustrated with photos of aircraft, personnel, aerial photographs, maps, and color profiles.

The book covers the history of three airfields in Southwest Germany (about 45km east of Freiburg), but it's much more than that. It also serves as an intimate unit history of both 2./NaGr 13 and III./JG 76 (which later became IV./JG 53), with many personal accounts, photo albums, correspondence, reproductions of Flugbücher and other documents, etc.

It consists of three main sections, each dedicated to one of the airfields, describing its development, units, and events:
- Villingen (12 pages): This airfield played a minor role in WWII.
- Donaueschingen-Nord, aka Bad Dürrheim or Donaueschingen (62 pages): Contains a concise history of 2./NaGr 13 and a daily account of the Staffel's operations from 4 Oct 44 to 8 Apr 45. Includes a detailed unit loss list.
- Hüfingen, aka Donaueschingen-Süd, Donaueschingen-Hüfingen, or Donaueschingen(!) (77 pages): Contains a short history of III./JG 76 and then describes its operations in detail from 3 Oct 44 to 14 Jan 1945, including the Gruppe's loss list for this period.

The appendices include:
- Coverage of the gravesites of many of the pilots who were based at these airfields.
- An in-depth look at the careers of two pilots, Hermann Strobel and Heinz Girnth.
- Lists of the many eyewitnesses who were interviewed, the personal and national archives that were consulted, as well as secondary sources.

I ordered my copy directly from the author -- it was very convenient because he accepts payment via PayPal.

Highly recommended!

Leon Venter

p.s. I have no association with Rolf Ebnet. I just hope he publishes many more books like this one.
Leon,

thank you very much for your great recension and also short description of the content. Goose bumps feeling.

Best regards
Rolf