View Single Post
Old 18th May 2005, 15:21

peterf is on a distinguished road
Post Please Help - Lancaster EE138

I am new to this forum. I am hoping that I can gain help with some research that I am doing. So far this is what I know.

1. On the night of the 3rd/4th of September 1943 a Lancaster from RAAF 460 Squadron Binbrook EE138 while on its shortened return run home from Berlin crashed just out side of the small village of Stadil Denmark.(all crew lost & remain at the site) but the site is preserved by the local Stadil people.

2. Eye witness accounts of a farmer Ingemann Halkjær whose property the Lancaster eventually crashed on, has described a series of events involving the Lancaster and a German Nightfighter

Ingemann Halkjær experienced it like this:

- “ We woke up by hearing motor noise from two air planes, and at the same time we could hear shooting. I got up and heard the planes coming from the South and passing above our heads while fire tongues from the German night fighter showed that there was shooting. Shortly afterwards the planes came back. The British plane had been hit, and just South of Fuglbjerg the plane tipped over halfway and went down vertically. The height probably was a couple of hundreds meter, and the crew might not have dared jump out. When the plane hit the ground, it exploded in an enormous crash. It was so violent that people in Husby (14 km away) were awakened, and I remember that I instinctively jumped away from the window because it felt so close.”

3. At the crash site an information plaque describes that nights events of September 3rd 1943 as follows and how the crew of the Lancaster…

“ were forced to fly across Denmark on it’s return route because it was running short of fuel, Lancaster EE138 came from the east and flew over the coast at Houvig, and the crew probably breathed a sigh of relief when they saw the North Sea below. In the German fortifications Kryle and Ringelnatter in Houvig the German anti aircraft guns opened fire, and the large four engine Lancaster bomber must have been hit, for it returned shortly after, probably to avoid crashing into the sea. When Lancaster EE138 returned it was hit again and catching fire, it crashed to the ground like a blazing flare and exploded on impact.”

The explanation goes on, but that paragraph is the information that I need some answers to. I have traced through web site http://www.rafandluftwaffe.info/ the Night fighter Pilot to be a Ltn Karl Rechberger

04.09.43 Ltn. Karl Rechberger 12./NJG 3 Lancaster  MR-2.5g: 4.300 m. 02.32 FilmC. 2026/I Anerk: Nr.-

I have plotted the location claimed by Ltn Rechberger to be just North East of Stadil which is maybe where they first engaged one another.

This information is also confirmed by a Tony Woods web site as well but, he also has the following cooperative claim by what I believe to be that of the Anti Aircraft station at Houvig:

04.09.43 Ltn. Karl Rechberger 12./NJG 3 Lancaster  - 02.32 Film-C. 2031/I XII. Flg.Kps.

You will see that the difference is the different film numbers and the XII Flg. Kps. I have tried to find a Daily Report for the Anti Aicraft station at Houvig but have drawn many blanks.

Ltn Rechberger was based at Grove airfield Denmark and continued until he was later wounded but landed back at Grove on the 4th of November 1943, the details are from the same site

04-11-1943 Junkers Ju 88 C-6 Nachtjagdstaffel 12./IV./NJG 3 Grove 2D WNr. 0750 500 D5 + AX British A/C 75 SQN STIR 35% Ltn. Karl Rechberger (w) 0-0-1-2 DENMARK Lan/Dam/on airfield Grove

So after a very long scenario my questions of the members of this forum are;
  • Can any one point me to the Daily Reports for the Anti Aicraft station at Houvig ?
  • Where could I find further info on Ltn. Karl Rechberger – and did he survive the war?
My German language interpretations so far have been made from using internet interpretation sites and I thought that maybe I should ask for some help from those that are better informed than myself.

So if any one can help me, please do.

Best regards,

Peter F