View Single Post
Old 10th July 2005, 03:11
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road
4 Staffel.(F)123 Re: Oblt. Werner Kohla (StKp)

Dear All,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has helped me in the past!
Have been searching for information regarding Oblt. Werner Kohla, the Staffelkapitän of 4./(F)123 and 2./NAGr.1 since 1996 and have now exhausted all avenues except this exceptional forum!
Uffz. Herbert Blochberger of the 4th Staffel was flying as Oblt. Kohla's wingman on the 24.06.44 on a recce sortie to the Seine Bay. Both aircraft were jumped by allied fighters and Herbert Blochberger was shot down, to be declared as Missing in Action! Herbert and his machine "Blue 1" were recovered from a field in northern France during November 1996. The eye-witness to the combat states that the action took place at a great height and the attacking aircraft had twin tails, I presume a P-38? I do know that P-38's were operating on that day on a mission to Rouen, but I have not found any P-38 victory claims for this day, anyone any ideas? Unfortunately I do not have a start time for Blochberger & Kohla, morning or evening?

Oblt. Kohla survived this action and went on to become the Staffelkapitän of 2./NAGr.1, but did he survive the war? Does anyone have any details of where he was born? Any information regarding this pilot would be appreciated. I have also posted a photo from my collection of Oblt. Kohla with his Bf 109G in Frankreich, 1944.

Kind regards,

Melvin.

"Anglo-deutsche Erinnerungs Gruppe"
The Remembrance Society.