View Single Post
Old 9th February 2008, 22:12

cheesey
Re: Luftwaffe Crew lost over England?

Hello Brian & Peter.

The source of my information is the Channel Islands Occupation Society Review (2001). In it,there is an article by a well known local historian (Michael Ginns MBE.) entitled " The Luftwaffe in Jersey 1940-1941". The article deals with 2.(F)/123 and its role in the initial occupation of both Guernsey and Jersey.

He mentions the loss of the Do17 on the 1st November and lists the crew names as follows:-

Leutnant Wilhelm Gohringer.
Feldwebel Werner Kramer.
Unteroffizier Karl Grunmuller.
Obergefreiter Gerhard Schinkel.

There is also an excellent photo of a Do17, taken from below, as it passed over the centre of the island during the early occupation period. The codes 4U+MK are clearly visible which denote an a/c of the 2nd Staffel. Mr Ginns quotes as one of his sources Herr Hans J. Kreker for supplying and translating the official histroy of 2./Aufklarungs Gruppe 123.

The following link to the Societe Jersiase photographic library also shows Do17s parked up on the airfield on Jersey during the first few weeks of the occupation. I am pretty sure that these belong to 2.(F)/123.
http://societe-jersiaise.adlibsoft.com/ Enter Dornier to the bottom search field and you should see them!

As to the location of the loss. St.Ouen's Bay forms the western edge of the island of Jersey and is a sandy beach which runs for approx. 4 miles. It is a general geographical name for the area and La Pulente is the name of a spot at the very southerly end of the bay. The airfield is located at the western part of the island about a mile back from the shore-line and half-way along the length of St.Ouen's Bay and built on the escarpment which rises up from the beach. It would appear that having taken off the a/c must have turned to the south and came to greif on the beach.

I do have a scanned photo of the wreckage,taken at the time,from another local publication if anyone is interested?

Steve.