View Single Post
Old 27th January 2017, 16:52
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Cranfill is the only pilot from the 368th FS. All the others are from the 369th FS.

None of these claims against Russian aircraft are included in the pilots scores. As far as I know they never prepared Personal Encounter Reports (=combat reports).

Cranfill had four victories as of this date. His fifth, and last, victory was against a Me 262 on March 19, 1945.

Cox had four victories as of this date. He is credited with a FW 190 on this date at 1135, at Joachimsthal. The claims against Russian aircraft were made at Zackerick A/F, N of Kustrin. I do not know where Joachimsthal is with respect to Zackerick or Kustrin.

FO Harley E Berndt claimed a Me-109 damaged at 1130 at Joachimsthal. Gaines claimed a Me-109 at 1135 at Joachimsthal.

It is of course possible that the claims for Me-109s are for Yaks, and the FW-190 claimed could be a La-5 or -7. But the 109 and 190 claims were officially confirmed.

My information on the claims against the Russians comes from the book Mustangs and Unicorns, and I would love to know where the author got that information. Does anyone know?

Enjoy!

Frank.