View Single Post
Old 25th January 2020, 19:03

manniw is on a distinguished road
Re: Crash B26 on 11.April 1945 near Cologne

Rolland,

I already had the text about the mission to Aschersleben from the book "The Annihilators 322nd Bombardment Group ( M ), Book II". Also in this book there is no further mention of the crew or parts of it.
I have also searched all archives I know and have access to for the names of the crew, but I could not find the missing serial numbers anywhere.

In documents of the German Wehrmacht I also could not find anything about the capture of one of the crew members. But this happened two days before the American troops finally occupied the left side of the Rhine, there was a lot of confusion and the Wehrmacht was on the retreat.......And besides, a lot of documents and records on the German side were destroyed during these days.

About the bombing and the resulting explosions:
The explosion at Wahnheide, 560510 is in my opinion not caused by the bombing. An ammunition depot was blown up here by the Wehrmacht during the retreat. The other explosions I think are due to the bombing of Hopkins. They fit together in time and geography, even if the times of the individual reports vary by a few minutes.

I found something on ancestry about John T. Hopkins:
SVN: 577 265 477and John E. Lidicker

SVN: 384 186 519...... I think it's the social security numbers...... Does that tell us anything?

Greetings Manni

Last edited by manniw; 26th January 2020 at 19:54.