View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:53
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: 11.(N)/LG 2 vs. 10.(N)/JG 26

Hello, all!

Finally had a little time to start looking into this.

The only concrete I have this far (still working my way through the literally thousands of documents ordered after my last visit to BA/MA...) but:

For the strength returns of August 26th 1939, the following units seems to be denoted as night fighters (later in the returns the letter 'N' besides a unit denotes that they are to receive aircraft with the N variant engine, but at this stage I think my assumption is valid):

11./L.G.2 commanded by the Lw.Lehr.Div. stationed at Köln-Ostheim with Bf 109D
10./J.G.2 commanded by Lfl.Kdo.1 stationed at Döberitz with Bf 109D
10./J.G.72 commanded by Lfl.Kdo.3 stationed at Mannheim with Ar 68
11./J.G.72 commanded by Lfl.3. stationed at Böblingen with Ar 68

For the strength returns of September 2nd 1939 we have the following situation:

11./J.G.26 commanded by the Lw.Lehr.Div. stationed at Köln-Ostheim with Bf 109D (here L.G.2 is overstricken with pencil and J.G.26 is written on top)
10./J.G.2 commanded by Lfl.Kdo.1 stationed at Döberitz with Bf 109D
10./J.G.72 commanded by Lfl.Kdo.3 stationed at Mannheim with Ar 68
11./J.G.72 commanded by Lfl.3. stationed at Böblingen with Ar 68

So - it is possible that they forgot to write the new Staffel number (and I have to look at consequent reports for more information) - but I think it is no doubt that the 11./L.G.2 became 11./J.G.26 (or maybe 10./J.G.26 - time will show after I get to later reports).

As this change was done in close relation to the mobilisation it could be source of a Staffel numbering confusion.

More to follow!

Regards,
Andreas B

Last edited by Andreas Brekken; 22nd July 2016 at 16:06. Reason: Added aircraft type for 11./J.G.72