View Single Post
Old 27th August 2007, 21:55
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: End dates for Oberstlt. Joachim Huth as CO of ZG 26?

Hello,

Just to wrap this up, I've had several emails off-board about this, and I thought that I'd present readers of the board my conclusions. It seems that the main source for confusion on the dates of transition between Huth and Schalk as CO of ZG26 is information published by Theodore Rossiwall, the StaKap of 5./ZG26, in his book on the history of his staffel during 1940. I believe it was published in 1941. John Vasco has confirmed that this is the source of his information on this subject in his book with Peter Cornwell, "Zerstörer." This says that Huth left 31.8.40 and Schalk, the Gr Kdr of III./ZG26, took over as Kommodore on 1.9.40. However, the revised RKT book for fighters (Obermeier), and now a detailed, and credible summary of Huth's entire military career available on the internet, plus other evidence, seems to indicate that this transition took place on November 1, 1940. See the website: <http://www.powcamp.fsnet.co.uk/Generalleutnant%20Joachim-Friedrich%20Huth%20(Luftwaffe).htm> helpfully provided by Rob van den Nieuwendijk.

Then there is the matter the III./ZG 26 Victory List. On this, Schalk's 7th and 8th victories are respectively recorded on 26.9.40, and 1.10.40, with Schalk's unit listed as Stab. III./ZG26. There can be little doubt that at the time of Schalk's 7th victory that he was flying with III./ZG26, as another unit pilot, Fw. Helmut Haugk of 7 Staffel, was credited with a victory in apparently the same fight (17:23 hours, Haugk and 17:35 hours, Schalk) over Southampton. None of this fits together with the 1 September date in the Rossiwall's book.

There is also the matter of a photo of Huth's Bf110 after a mishap showing what is a light overwash on the nose, probably yellow, but also possibly white. This would seem to indicate that Huth, or at least his aircraft with his Stab markings, was flyiing with ZG 26 sometime after the beginning of September 1940.

All of this taken together indicates that the "official" transition between Huth and Schalk took place on 1.11.40, and that the Rossiwall info and thus the info in "Zerstörer," is wrong. This doesn't discount the possibility that Huth was on leave, sick or injured during the two months in question and that Schalk filled in for him on a temporary basis. However, I have no knowledge that that is the case, and Huth going on leave during the height of the Battle of Britain makes no sense for a respected combat commander. Also, there is no indication that he was awarded a wounds badge during that period either, which would pretty much discount that possibility.

I would apreciate hearing from anyone with evidence to the contrary, but otherwise I think that the issue is resolved. Huth appears to have remained in command of ZG26 through the end of October, and Schalk moved up from command of III./ZG 26 to take his place on 1.11.40.

If anyone has photos of aircraft flown by either Huth or Schalk in 1939-40, I would appreciate hearing from them.

Regards,